Sunday 28 September 2014

Highland games in... Virginia!

Lynn attended a festival where many men in kilts could be observed. Here's her report, with some detail about the caber toss added by me:

Today was the day of the Highland Festival and, as promised, there were men in kilts. Sadly, many of them looked about to deliver triplets, but there were a few fine specimens.



Tossing the caber is a Scottish athletic event consisting in throwing a “caber,” a straight, approximately 17-foot-long log (from which the bark has been removed) so that it turns over in the air and falls on the ground with its small end pointing directly opposite the tosser.


This guy looked especially pleased when I asked if I could photograph him for my blog friends/kilt fans. I think the fact that I told him he was about to become "internationally famous" didn't hurt either.


Thank you, Lynn. The whole thing looks very entertaining!