Monday 16 April 2018

Baby Boomer's Bucket Lists!

A few days ago I noticed on Twitter a link to a New York Times article ominously titled  "Baby Boomers Reach the End of Their To Do List."

"Oh no!" I thought. "This does not sound good!"

If we are at the end of our to-do list there can only be one reason! One I am not ready to think about yet.

When my heart started beating again, I actually read the article and breathed a sigh of relief.  The author is not suggesting that we all just pack it in. Just that perhaps it is time to rethink the need for a list.

Now don't get me wrong. I am all for having a Bucket List. I have already checked off a number of items on my list. But I am getting pretty satisfied with just doing nothing much at all. Or at least nothing that could be thought of as exciting or wild, like bungee jumping, or a trip around the world. And even the 'take up Yoga' item is not looking like it will ever get checked off.

I am pretty sure I would not have admitted out loud that I am quite happy being without much of a list before reading the article. But now I am feeling quite a bit better about the whole thing!

The author, Patricia Hampl, talks about "...the sheer value of looking out the window, letting the world float along." I must admit that sounds pretty good- at least now and then!

Mike figured out this whole list thing long before I have... he wakes up each morning and decides what he feels like doing. 



I would love to hear what you think. Do you have a Bucket List? If you do, can you share some of the items on the list?  I am always happy to travel along vicariously in someone else's list. Or are you ready to just let the world float along? Maybe a little bit of both, eh? Seems that there is no one way to go about getting older. And isn't that great!