Monday 9 April 2018

Random Acts of Kindness

Sometimes someone does something so unexpected and so kind that it takes your breath away.

A couple of weeks ago we found out that Mike needs to have surgery to remove his prostate. The prognosis is very good and we are very optimistic. But cancer is cancer. So there is always some worry.

Last Friday, at bridge, a lovely woman handed me a bag to give to Mike. She is someone who is very friendly, but I do not really know her very well yet. In the bag was a beautiful hand-made comfort quilt that she had bought from the Cancer Society for Mike. I cannot find the words to tell you how I felt. I gave her a big hug and wiped a couple of tears from my eyes.

Then I brought it home to Mike.  It is absolutely beautiful. With warm felt on the back to keep him warm.


You should have seen his reaction. He could not believe that someone he had only met a couple of times would do this for him. Talking about his feelings does not come easy for him but he told me she had to be a guardian angel. He was so touched.

My sister told me that at her church when you do something kind and unexpected for someone, you give them a green marble with the gift and tell them to pass it on.

I think that is a lovely idea. How great is it that a random act of kindness can make someone else's entire day? Especially these days when it is often so hard to stay positive.

I think Mike and I have both been given a little green marble that we need to pass along.

Any other feel good stories to share?